[RE-wrenches] Mate 3 lock-up

John Blittersdorf john.blittersdorf at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 17:41:59 PST 2016

I have had several instances of the Mate 3 locking up where I cannot
program anything and the main screen is abbreviated with only one bar.  The
first time this happened I had been given a command with 2 buttons to push
 to unlock it from an Outback technician and it worked.

Now it has happened again and it is a weekend and I don't remember the
keystrokes.
Anybody out there know what they are?

 This system is a gen set and inverter only. No solar.  Either the
generator is not starting or the mate 3 is not starting it or something is
going on with the VFXR inverter and the mate.  It worked fine for about 8
months and worked OK on Dec 8 where it started the generator with the 2
hour start...the only info I could recover... no events survived the total
power loss of dead generator battery and main 48 v bank down to 7 volts.
One other very puzzling thing is that the batteries went so low.. No DC
loads other than the inverter and Mate 3.  Could the Mate 3 and the control
board on the inverter draw down 8 golf cart batteries from low battery cut
off to 8 volts in one week?  This is the 2nd time I have had to jump start
this system back to life and it doesn't look good to the customer who ran
an identical system with an old Trace 2524 for years with no problems til
the Trace died of old age.

John Blittersdorf
Rob Stubbins Solar