[RE-wrenches] Load Management vs Multiple Inverters and OutBack Radian vs Flexware systems

Dave Palumbo palumbo131m at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:08:43 PST 2016

Wrenchers,

I am involved in designing an off grid system that will need  multiple
inverters (probably OutBack). My experience over the years has been limited
to no more than 8kW's of inverter on a big system (for me). The load profile
is not completed yet, but it is looking like this may require more power if
all of the loads were to be on/surge at the same time. The client wants
things to run as seamlessly as practical and has the means to pay for a nice
system.

.         Are automatic load management devices worth looking into? I have
no experience with them except for one of my off griders (early adopter
type) had one put in about 15 years ago on his system and I think it worked
OK but it seemed like a lot of money and work to install and it takes up
some space. More technical stuff to deal with.

.         How fool proof is it and is it worth messing with? Vs. adding more
inverter wattage?

.         With OutBack these days what are the Pros and Cons comparing a
Radian system vs a Flexware 1000 system?

.         Why does the Radian line have different ratings per unit of a
48VDC inverter? Isn't the Radian two vented 48V inverters in a big box?

.         The regular OB VFXR3648's  have lower continuous power and surge
ratings and lower battery charging amps when compared to a Radian. Two OB
VFR3648's @ 7,200VA continuous vs Radian @ 8,000VA; 10.8kVA surge on the 2
VFX's together vs 12kVA on the Radian; also 90ADC vs 115ADC battery charging
respectively.

Thanks for your time,

Dave

David Palumbo