[RE-wrenches] SMA Arc-Fault

Dave Tedeyan dtedeyan at taitem.com
Thu Nov 10 10:14:05 PST 2016

Hi All,

Maybe someone will have some ideas for why a couple inverters keep arc
faulting:

-There are two SB7000TL-22 inverters, Sunpower branded.
-3 Strings of 7 SPR-327's to each inverter. Kept separate until the
inverter.
-Ground mount about 50' from the shed where the inverters are located
(indoors)
-Simple grid connected system, no batteries.
-There is a whole house generator co-located in the shed.
-We interconnect by using piercing taps on the line side of the generator
transfer switch
-There has been only one power outage there since the system was installed
in April, but the generator fires up weekly.

-The arc faults have been happening on both inverters. Sometimes only one
at a time, sometimes both will go within a day of each other.
-The events have been approximately one a month, but sometimes more,
sometimes less.

-We have already checked every single connection in the system twice, by
two different people.
-We have replaced the underground wires (and they looked just fine)
-We have replaced all home runs.
-We have replaced both inverters.
-Arc faults are still happening.
-Arc faults are not always on the same day/time of the week.

I am wondering if this can be caused by the generator?
Has anyone run into a situation like this or something similar?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

*--*

*Dave Tedeyan*