[RE-wrenches] Question about the Tax Credit

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Fri Oct 28 07:28:05 PDT 2016

Hi Folks,

I known most of us are not tax consultants, but I'm hoping someone has run
into the issue before. I've been hunting around for an answer to a question
a client has about utilizing the 30% *residential* solar tax credit, but
have been unsuccessful at finding an answer, and was hoping that someone
could either give a stab at it or direct me to someone who may know the
answer.  Here's the question:

If someone installs a system on the home in tax year 2016, but is unable to
utilize the credit due to not enough or no tax liability for tax year 2016,
I know they can roll the credit forward for 1 year (in other words they can
spread the credit over 1 succeeding year past the tax year they first claim
the credit for.  What I'm not clear on is whether an individual needs to
claim the tax credit starting in the year the system was commissioned, or
if they can wait 1 or more tax years to claim the credit and then roll it
forward the additional year from that date.  So, someone installs and
commissions a solar system on their home in November 2016 - can they choose
to start taking the tax credit in tax year 2018 or 2019?

I've read through lots of online resources both from the IRS and solar
related resources, but have not found an answer to this question, so any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Howie
*Howie Michaelson*
*NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™*
Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar Electric Incentive Partner
802-272-0004