[RE-wrenches] Splices in service panel

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:00:26 PDT 2016

Hello wrenches,

We run into many scenarios where we are locating a critical load panel
adjacent to an existing service to make it easy to move the loads.  I've
always taken it for granted (as have the electricians that we use) that we
can't do a splice in the main panel and extend the load wiring to the
critical load panel.  Is there code violation for doing a splice in the
main panel and extending the leads to the critical panel?  You would be
treating the service panel as a pass-trough/splice box for those critical
loads.

It makes me wonder because of all of the prewired transfer switch packages
with wire whips already attached that seem to be designed to do just that.

Code references would be appreciated.

Thanks

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*