[RE-wrenches] DC Arc Fault Interrupter solutions for PV?

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 05:35:34 PDT 2016

Esteemed Wrenches;

How are folks here dealing with NEC 690.11 AFCI PV DC requirements on
ground-mount, off-grid and multimode systems? My client purchased his
equipment for 2 systems prior to 2013, when Colorado started enforcing
690.11 in the NEC 2011 code and we haven't done the installs yet due to
construction delays; they just got their CO a month ago.

His grid-tie battery backup system has 3 Morningstar MPPT-60 600Voc
controllers, and his off-grid system 2 Morningstar MPPT-60 150Voc
controllers.

I've been out of the loop on this one for a couple years since I've been
installing all Midnite Classics that have AFCI built in. I'm not seeing any
options for in the combiner box from my regular suppliers of breakers and
such (he already has the combiner boxes).

690.12 is also going to be an issue now that Colorado is enforcing it for
ground mount arrays. The Midnite combiners he bought in 2013 are not
compatible with the Birdhouse.

Perhaps installation will be delayed further, and 690.12 will be waived for
ground mount arrays in NEC 2017? I can only hope.

Any input appreciated.

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor of Solar Energy Technology, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP Registered Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342