[RE-wrenches] Watch out for 30 mm frames and make sure your MLPE mounting hardware is compatible and not hitting backsheet

Howard Arey scot.arey at solarcentex.com
Fri Jul 8 15:13:46 PDT 2016

Hello, all.

I wanted to share some lessons learned from a challenge we had last week.

We discovered that mounting bolts for DC Optimizers were rubbing the back of
the solar modules and wearing enough to cause module internal grounding and
inverter fault.

The cause of this was we transitioned to 30 mm frames from previous 35 mm
frames and the bolts we used to mount optimizers on the rail were now long
enough to just nick the back of the module. Get some heavy wind and just
enough module flex and voila, you get a worn spot.

Fortunately, previous troubleshooting on an old system with internal module
faults helped my tech figure out the only culprit could be a bad module, so
he started lifting modules and found that issue.

I wanted to share and save somebody some time.

We have gone to slightly shorter bolts and saved money in the process!

Howard "Scot" Arey

Owner, Solar CenTex

254-300-1228

scot.arey at solarcentex.com