[RE-wrenches] Backup System Blues

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Jun 15 06:50:41 PDT 2016

Hi All;

I'm in the process of finishing a grid tie with battery backup system,
and besides the many pitfalls of this type of work, I destroyed a Tripp
lite surge suppressor when I turned on the system.
The system has a pair of the new Outback VFXR 3524 inverters wired in
120/240 series config. with Mate 3.
I measured before and after, and the output was a steady 120vac (240
between them), frequency was 59.99 to 60.00 Hz.
I also measured THD at about 2.5%, which is much better than the grid
here ( about 5%)
The system was in off grid mode, running several lights and other loads,
when I switched on the breaker to the office.  Immediately the slave
inverter shut down with an AC short circuit error.
Upon examining the computer equipment, I was greeted with the classic
"smoke let out of the box" scent, and traced it to the Tripplite surge
suppressor.  This morning, I opened it up to examine, and one set of
capacitors had blown.  The Triplite (which I'm not that familiar) has
several outlets each with an inductive coil and cap, each is labeled
with a higher level of protection.
The one that blew was labeled 120 dB ( or max) protection.
So the question is:  Did this just blow randomly, or is there something
with the Outback power output that isn't right?
I don't have an Oscilloscope, but I could better isolate the various
harmonic Distortion to its separate components to see if maybe there is
a harmonic spike somewhere the Tripplite didn't like?
I didn't notice what was plugged into that outlet, but I will check
today.  The actual equipment is just the usual home collection of ink
jet printers, and lap tops.  The Tripp lite however looks pretty high
end ( and old) and was immediately my suspect, as soon as I looked under
the desk.  The model is Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra 8, and is apparently
still available.
https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-8-outlet-surge-protector-12-ft-cord-3840-joules~ISOBAR8ULTRA/
This is venturing outside my normal area of expertise and into the Murky
world of what's actually inside those electronic gizmos.

As always, thanks in advance for all your sage advice,

--
R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc