[RE-wrenches] Feed-in tariffs and internal offsets

Troy taharvey at heliocentric.org
Mon May 30 10:23:47 PDT 2016

I am dealing with a small utility that only provides a small feed-in tariff (basically wholesale). Customer wouldn’t have much value to install PV when they sell in at 5 cents, and buy back at 8 cents.

However, if we load shifted the PV to provide an internal offset on the consumption meter (but staying clear of exporting), and move any excess to the tariff meter we could make the PV more valuable by offsetting the 8 cent power first, rather than just producing 5 cent power all the time.

Has anyone done this? Are there legal hurdles? Any reason one can be legally stopped from offsetting their own power?

Thanks,

Troy
Heliocentric