[RE-wrenches] Generac EcoGen problem

Dave dave at independentpowerllc.com
Fri Apr 29 08:59:59 PDT 2016

Wrenches,

I service an off grid home that has an EcoGen 6kW Model 58181 LP gen with a
Serial Number of 8301854. It has 1,175 hrs on it during 2-1/2 years of
service.

.         It appears that the crankcase is filling with excessive amounts of
oil.

.         There was a Generac Service Bulletin in July of 2013 which
predates this generators Serial Number. This bulletin alerted the
possibility of excessive oil in the crankcase due to "incorrect routing of
the pulse pump hoses".

.         From the pictures on the service bulletin (and with the SN being
higher) it looks like the generator in question has properly routed hoses.
See photo attached if you are familiar with this problem.

.         There is an extra oil reservoir on these units. The engine takes
1.7 quarts and the reservoir takes 4.2 Quarts.

.         I last changed the oil (and properly filled both engine and
reservoir) at 1,124 hours

.         Now at 1,175 hrs the generator runs very roughly and blows lots of
oily smelling blue/grey smoke. Most of the oil is gone from the reservoir so
it's pretty obvious that the oil has flooded into the crankcase.

.         If the Pulse Pump hoses are routed correctly and I'd say they are
since the SN is later than the recognized problem AND the fact this
generator ran great for over 1,100 hours then maybe is the pulse pump itself
is bad?

.         I wanted to run this by this list before talking to Generac
because I know there are a number of wrenches whom have experience with the
EcoGen.

.         Can I simply just drain the oil and only refill the 1.7 Qts in the
engine and run the unit?

Thanks for your time,

David Palumbo

Independent Power LLC