[RE-wrenches] RE-wrenches Digest, Vol 9, Issue 129

Jordan Solar Sales sales at jordansolar.net
Thu Apr 28 19:59:19 PDT 2016

For off-grid generators I have found that the Onan propane RV units like
model #HGJAB are a great unit. (Onan is owned by Cummins, same units as
Cummins Commercial series I believe) These are only 6500 watt units but
they are low RPM, very quiet, fuel efficient, and start great in cold
temps. (the 5500 watt model is the same unit but runs lower rpm=lower
power) they do need an external battery and charger (and battery cables...)
and you have to build a stand to set them on.

We sometimes have to "oversize" generators just so the customer can run
large loads while the batteries are charging, which leads to the need for
the 10kw (or bigger) generators. I have not found a good option for these
either. In my opinion, these big gennys are very inefficient at battery
charging, cost a lot, are hard to start, difficult to service/replace, and
come with all the electronics issues mentioned earlier. I find if I can
educate the customer to wait to run big loads until after the initial bulk
charge cycle they can often get by on the 6500 watt unit and they are
happier in the long run. If I can't win on this, I try to get them buy
their own genny so it is their problem!

I wish we had a decent AC coupled generator option!

Travis Jordan
travis at jordansolar.net
travis at mtsolar.us