[RE-wrenches] Off-grid generator update?

Lena Wilensky lena at nunatakenergy.com
Thu Apr 28 09:19:09 PDT 2016

I did some searches on the list for what folks are doing for off-grid
propane generators these days, but all the threads I found were from 5-6
yrs ago, so I was hoping to get some more current info.

We're looking for about a 10kw+ propane unit (big derate at altitude), and
we run into 2 main problem areas:

First is the warranty - either there are no units warranteed for off-grid
use, or there are only a couple of models and the warranty is short (1
year).

Second, and perhaps larger, is all the loads that now come with the
"off-grid" units.  The computer takes some, but mostly the "cold weather
kit" aka carb heater must be installed in our climate (to actually start,
but also for warrantee), and it's set up to be on a thermostat (read: "on
all the time from Nov-April" here in the mountains).  According to the
Kohler tech support it takes a steady 50W. We have set up older units to do
battery charge only during the day, and have the carb heater on a manual
switch, but it sounds like we can't really get at these circuits anymore
since they're all pre-configured and pre-wired in the guts of the genset
computer.

The Kohler and Onan support folks said both these issues are due to EPA
considering off-grid use as prime power as opposed to standby, so they are
held to tougher emissions standards.

Whatever the reasons, we're wondering what people are actually doing these
days - still the standby units they kind-of warrantee for off-grid? 12RES
from Kohler and the 13kw unit from Onan?  Generac?  Have folks been going
back to the smaller gas units from Honda and running them more?  And how
are cold climate folks dealing with the heating issue?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Lena Wilensky

www.nunatakenergy.com
970-642-5554