[RE-wrenches] DC to DC converters

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Mar 28 12:44:00 PDT 2016

Friends:

I am designing a satellite data interface for a large off-grid system for a
state highway department facility.  We will be using the Outback Optics
data capabilities along with equipment manufactured by Control by Web.

I’d like to run the satellite system on a battery power source so I can
hope to use it when we need it most, when the power is down.  We have a
separate 24 volt battery bank remaining from a previous generator control
system.  The satellite system operates on 30 VDC at 2 amps.

My first choice is to find a DC to DC converter from nominal 24 volts.  Do
any of you know of one that you could recommend?

My second choice is to use a small inverter.  Can anyone suggest one at
this small wattage?  I don’t know how good the power supply is at rejecting
waveform distortion so I presume an inverter needs to be somewhat close to
a sine wave.

Thanks in advance.

William Miller

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]