[RE-wrenches] PV-direct air heating?

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:07:12 PST 2016

I have an interesting question I haven't run into before, using existing
equipment, some in place, some just waiting for an install.
Has anyone here ever done an MPPT PV-direct install to DC air heaters?

Advanced Energy used to have a PV-direct MPPT water heating controller, but
the residential division of their company no longer exists. We are looking
at 1200-1500 watts of PV.

How would one program a Midnite Classic (for example) to most efficiently
connect PV to DC heating elements without a battery bank/diversion load
setup, whether for water or air?

This one's new to me; I've never tried PV direct heating before.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor of Solar Energy Technology, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP Registered Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342