[RE-wrenches] Temporary Roof Anchors

Benn Kilburn benn at skyfireenergy.com
Wed Jan 6 13:19:48 PST 2016

Wrenches,
Of our residential installs, i would guess that at least 80% are done on
composite asphalt shingle roofs typically ranging from 13 to 33deg pitch.
The rest are made up of various metal roofs, cedar shake, rubber shingles,
concrete tile, etc...
Obviously, we require roof anchors for fall protection.  Rarely do we come
across existing homes that have roof anchors already installed.

I have typically been using these...
hinged roof anchor
<https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=DBIAJ730A>
or these...
RA15-1/
<https://www.millerfallprotection.com/fall-protection-products/roofing-products/temporary-roof-anchors>
Preferably the RA15-1 since it can use screws (#12's) instead of nails and
only needs 8 screws compared to the 20 nails for the hinged anchor... ***in
order for it to be approved***

​What are you all using as temporary anchors specifically for asphalt
shingle roofs​???

Do any of you prefer to install permanent roof anchors, now that you have
just installed a "serviceable" piece of equipment on the roof?  What do you
use?

Benn