[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Refractometer reading has me stumped

Chris Worcester chris at solarwindworks.com
Mon Dec 21 11:38:16 PST 2015

Happy Winter Solstice! Speaking of this, here in Truckee at 6000’ we are seeing snow outside the window, batteries are dipping low, threatening to start the gen set. Even if you’re getting a solid 3 hours of sun a day on that 3.9 kW array say at 80% efficiency, let’s use 48 VDC nominal, that is a unimpressive 183 Ah/d kicking into the 800+ AH new battery. Just plain not enough oomph to bring them up so they’re sagging, especially with that miss matched 6 kW Briggs.  The solar is trying but can’t do it. (assuming the loads in the home are above a measly 100 Ah/d or so) here we are seeing about 2 sunny days per week in all these storm cycles. That being said my IBE 2 volt cells still haven’t seen the genny yet. Time to get on the tractor!

Chris Worcester

Solar Wind Works

NABCEP Certified PV Installer

Office 530-582-4503