[RE-wrenches] Module recommendation for a specific off grid situation

Chris Worcester chris at solarwindworks.com
Thu Dec 17 10:37:53 PST 2015

By the time we took the Sanyo’s down 7 out of 12 had varying degrees of Voc, either 25%, 50%, 75% of full Voc., in a nut shell. This didn’t just happen all at once, since we started diagnostics in the fall, then got snowed out, and resumed in the spring with the system showing less output.

Panasonic would not warrantee them  after a very long drawn out warranty claim documentation  process. So the Japanese engineers from Panasonic claimed it to be transient lightning surge. Not covered under warranty.  This was a SMA SB2500 two strings of 6 system originally. There was no visual damage on the front of burnt traces and the sort of discoloring that we’ve seen with the BP160’s and such. Didn’t affect the SB2500, AC & DC switch gear and CB’s, 600VDC RK5 fuses, Delta LA 602’s, Wattsun AZ225 tracker eye or motors, or 24 VDC power supply, no burned grounding conductors. Hmmm… I couldn’t disprove them…. We only did this one 195BA3 system having installed the 190’s prior, and the 200’s after it. We don’t have others to compare notes to, wondering if others here have had similar issues with the Sanyo 195 BA3 modules?

Chris Worcester

Solar Wind Works

NABCEP Certified PV Installer

Office 530-582-4503