[RE-wrenches] 4 ways to keep a battery for a long time

Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Dec 17 07:26:33 PST 2015

Jay,

And, and, and, indeed. There are SO many factors affecting battery life. With some battery capacity monitors (like Blue Sky Energy IPN-Pro), you can see the total kWh removed from a battery bank since it was installed. But that data does not consider the non-linearity of the DoD/Cycle life relationship. Even if it did, there is much more that affect life every day. One grossly neglected item in battery monitors is the tracking of operating temperature. Since high cell temperature has such a great affect on life, this data would be an eye opener to most battery owners.

By daily monitoring and logging temperature and DoD and charge rate and kWh removed and EQ cycles, days deficit charged, and, and... we should be able to model accurate end of life for any battery. Years of data should tell us if the battery is used up, abused or has a problem. Mr. Hiesey, how about building something like that?

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems