[RE-wrenches] Discover Batteries

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Dec 13 09:39:42 PST 2015

Hi Jay;

Actually the Outback RE High Capacity batteries are rated at 1800 cycles
at 50% DOD, not 80%.
The Discover is rated at an "amazing" 2950 cycles at 50% DOD, but the
same brochure has a chart of cycles vs temperature and at 25 C they are
a bit under 2000 cycles at 50%, which is closer to the Outback.  I
suspect that they also performed their testing at very slow discharge
rates, as they don't have to conform to BCI procedures in Canada.
I'm tiring of manus that are trying to cheat on the numbers: amp hour
ratings at high temperature and slow discharge rate,  cycle life at cold
temperatures and short DOD.  I really see a need for independent testing
of batteries by a third party on a level playing field.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician