[RE-wrenches] Secure/support PV wire requirements?

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Dec 9 10:33:34 PST 2015

Rebekah:

What you desire to do is not impossible.  Most module manufacturers specify
supports approximately 20% form each short side.  For a 66 inch module this
is 13.2 inches.  If you attach the factory PV leads to the rail, you are
close to the 12 inch requirement.  If you reduce the offset to an actual
12” you are at 18% of the module width. Either way, I suggest it is close
enough.

How to secure the leads?  Well there are “UV resistant” wire ties, but the
lack of longevity of these is starting to be realized.  There are other
clips or metal reinforced ties that may be adequate.   Clips we tried are
loose and/or flimsy.

We have been experimenting with various procedures for over a decade.  Our
best method so far is to slot PVC pipe and ley the leads inside.  We do
this on the table saw using dual blades.  The cut is sharp and needs to be
deburred.  Once we lay the leads in we secure them with a clip made form a
short section of the same slotted pie.  We cut short lengths of the same
slotted pipe (3”), expand the slot using PVC cutters and it clips securely
over the long sections of PVC.  See attached.

William

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]
Lic 773985
millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>