[RE-wrenches] Inverter back feed liability

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Tue Nov 24 04:09:00 PST 2015

Hahaha. Here in Florida where everyone is a retired something, everyone is
an engineer, doctor, or lawyer, or they slept at a Holiday Inn Express last
night.

On a serious note, the way I usually handle engineers is to ask their
particular area of work. Understanding whether they are focused on
structural, electrical, materials, chemical, civil, et cetera, helps me
walk them through the issues they are likely to be concerned about.

On the original inverter backfeed liability issue, does it really matter?
Someone dies, everyone gets sued. What is the customer really asking? Who
is going to take responsibility? The answer is nobody. The lawyers and
insurance companies battle it out and nobody wins. Sometimes when asked
these kinds of questions I just tell the shocking truth. What happens in a
hurricane? Your house blows down. Call your insurance company. What happens
to the warranty if the manufacturer goes out of business? You're screwed.
Sometimes people just need to hear the raw truth, and they usually
appreciate it!

Side note: Why does it seem like lawyers never ask questions about the
small print and sign without reading contracts?

​Jason