[RE-wrenches] mystery amperage disappears & re-appears in AM

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Mon Nov 2 07:06:09 PST 2015

Many years back, I had a similar problem with a remote offgrid new client with an existing system:

Early morning resulted in voltage & "some amperage" but not what they used to get.
Then as the day progressed amperage dropped off but voltage remained constant as though under load not open circuit.
I checked everything I could find and asked if there were any more connections, "no there were not" was the response.
On the third trip there they "remembered" a junction box under the front of the house.
Opening the metal 16x16x6 J box yielded 2 split bolts burnt touching the box & taped with temp wrap black electrical tape (now burnt) at what was originally only 3 layers of wrap. Yikes!
Replaced both split bolts, trimmed the wire back (fortunately there was excess in the box) and covered with rubber lineman's tape and all was well.

Point here are the metal box probably saved a house fire those suckers were really hot by midday, & thankfully today we have much better alternatives to split bolts.
The regular re-torque & inspection of mechanical connections is a very good idea & a way to reconnect with clients and keep the system operation & safety up to par.

Dana Orzel
Great Solar Works, Inc -  NABCEP # 051112-136
E - dana at solarwork.com  - Web - solarwork.com
O - 970.626.5253  C - 208.721.7003
"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"
 Please consider the environment before printing this email.