[RE-wrenches] Classic 150 100 amp output breaker tripping?????

boB at midnitesolar.com boB at midnitesolar.com
Thu Oct 29 18:10:08 PDT 2015

On 10/29/2015 5:02 PM, Jay wrote:
> boB,
>
> Is the OCP still being used and does it work in both directions?
>
> JAY
> Peltz power

Hi Jay.  Yes, the OCP you refer to is still there.  This particular OCP
though is a hardware
fast OCP intended to protect the controller against large load surges on
the battery
side of the controller...   This usually happens when battery cables are
long and
the inverter(s) are connected electrically close to the controller,
thereby drawing
huge amounts of current from the Classic than from the battery when the
inverter
is turned on, charging its input capacitors or something with huge AC loads.

A good wiring practice these days is to, if convenient at least, wire
the controller's
battery terminals close or right at the battery terminals.  Then, when
an inverter
is either turned on and giving a momentary short circuit to the battery
lines, that
current will come from the battery rather than the controller's electronics.

   Larger cables won't necessarily fix the problem due to battery cable
inductance.

The 150s and 200s rarely need the OCP circuitry.  The 250 is the one the
OCP was
really designed for but we put it into all of the controllers.

There is also over current protection going the other way but is not a
microsecond
timed protection.  Plain old fast or slow ramping up surges like we're
talking about is easy to
control, normally.

Breaker tripping like this is extremely rare, IF it is from this kind of
current spikes due to
generator startup.   I would suggest to be safe and bring another
controller up just in case.

Might be a bad controller but I just don't know without logging or
observing it happening
with a scope and a current probe.  I've seen some very strange things
happen.

boB