[RE-wrenches] Generator backfeeding enphase?

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 11:52:46 PDT 2015

You won't hurt the inverters, they don't care, it is the generator's
alternator you have to worry about. The generator will motor, that's how
alternators work, and the AVR will shut down trying to lower the excitation
to reduce the over-voltage it thinks it is responsible for.
You can probably try it and see, it is unlikely to do harm initially.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Daniel Young <dyoung at dovetailsolar.com>
wrote:

> I still run under the assumption that if the solar generation ever exceeds
> building demand in these situations, the building voltage will spike up to
> the high voltage cutout of the inverter (unless the generator has the
> capability to try to “motor” to bring the voltage back down), then the
> voltage will return to normal. The system will wait 5 min (as if there were
> a grid fault, then return), then attempt to re-connect. If the solar
> generation is still in excess of the demand, the inverters will cycle
> again. This essentially is short cycling the inverters. Or if the generator
> circuitry is trying too hard to pull the voltage back down, it could damage
> the generator, but it depends on the size/type of genny. Like has been said
> already, it’s a crap shoot.
>

> Will it kill the inverters quickly…..I doubt it. Will they have voided the
> warranty….I’d almost guarantee it.
>

> The new Envoy S has some more advanced features though, so It *may* be
> able to monitor production vs demand and force the array to throttle back
> to prevent this from happening. I’m not familiar enough with the product to
> say one way or the other. I imagine it would have to be capable of reacting
> very quickly though to prevent issues (say, if your electric clothes dryer
> finished it’s cycle, changing you from needing 2kW of generator to
> supplement PV to all of a sudden having 2kw too much PV).
>

> With Regards,
>

> Daniel Young,
>
> NABCEP Certified PV Installation ProfessionalTM: Cert #031508-90

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts