[RE-wrenches] PV testing

Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Mon Oct 5 07:46:50 PDT 2015

Bill,

In the shop I have two electronic loads that I use nearly every day with batteries and PV modules. One is a programmable 150W, 360V that can be set for constant power, current or voltage (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-Electronic-Load-360VDC-CSI3710A/dp/B00D7QGSV4). It’s small enough to take to the field. The other is a 2kW model that I use for battery load and discharge testing. It’s too big to move.

I also use the Daystar DS-05A (seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-DS-05A-Solar-Digital-Meter/dp/B00YVTXZJ4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444055204&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Daystar+PV+irradiancePV) irradiance meter to calculate power by holding it in the same plane as the module to determine actual irradiance striking the surface.

Another tool I use is a simple instant read, non contact infrared thermometer to check the cell temperature under test.

With these tools and a little information, I can measure instant power and calculate module degradation. Others have suggested higher cost tools but these low cost tools have been reliable for many years.

Larry