[RE-wrenches] Five L16s in a 24V string?

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:40:01 PDT 2015

First time I've heard of something like this since starting in the off-grid
business in 1994.
Closest I've done to 'rotating' batteries is switching which corners of a
series/parallel bank are the main DC connectors.
I have noticed, on some occasions, the end cells may use a bit more water.
As for cell failures on strings, ends, middles, no particular pattern here
with my installations.  I *would* say those main end connections are the
most important to keep super clean and maintain really good,low resistance
connections as in series/parallel setups these connections have the most
heating/cooling from higher amperage.
At least your client has a couple easily deployable extra batteries if
another somewhere in the bank fails! Especially with an aging battery bank.

As for the initial confusion on how these extras were wired in, thanks for
the diagram. Slightly off topic, I have been running my home/office on NiFe
cells for 5 months now and I feel pretty confident about working around
their idiosyncrasies. My Outback and Midnite charge controllers couldn't
care less what the output voltage is, but the Magnum inverter goes into
panic mode when asked to reach the sweet spot of 1.65v per cell off of the
backup generator, it assumes the world is ending at 1.6v per cell.
Hopefully a Magnum firmware upgrade in the future can fix that.

Best regards;

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342