[RE-wrenches] Railless Racking

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Sun Sep 27 14:19:44 PDT 2015

We stopped our Zep experiment due to serviceability issues. Removing a
panel is a huge hassle and many times you have to break/cut things to get
it apart due to corrosion. It's not easy to put it back together, either.
We had a bunch of Enphase M190's that needed replacements under Zep
modules, and it was not fun. If you never have to move a module, perhaps
it's a good option. As long as you get the first row gun barrel straight,
everything lines up well and goes fast. The low profile makes wire
management a bit of a task.

If we ever need a Zep framed CSI panel replacement in the future, finding
one will undoubtedly be hard.

The S-5-PV is great as long as you don't have a lot of Edge Grabs, which
are a bit cumbersome to deal with at times. This system does not bond row
to row, so you still need PV module grounding lugs on one panel in each row
with a bare ground wire. Some of the newer grounding lugs make that task a
bit easier, but it's still more difficult than one WEEB-LUG per row on a
rail.

​Jason​ Szumlanski