[RE-wrenches] Rooftop DC disconnects

Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Sat Sep 26 15:49:42 PDT 2015

Hello Howie,

I attached it to my email on 9-24-2015. In brief, a HV relay disconnects the PV array and optional relay disconnects the battery. Midnite plans to add the arc fault Aux feature. Here it is again:

I asked Midnite about using the Aux circuit for control for ground or arc faults. They said this will (should) be added on the next firmware update. This means if an arc fault is detected, the Classic will shut down AND conductors leaving the array would be de-energized by switching off the HV relay. All automatically. A second relay could be connected to the battery for total system shutdown. Should be easy to build a circuit to re-energize everything after a fault.

Wouldn't this automatic method be better than waiting for someone to throw a switch to shut things down? You would have to run the low voltage control wire and perhaps put the relays in an enclosure. A disconnect switch could be in series for manual shutdown. What am I missing?