[RE-wrenches] Rooftop DC disconnects

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:37:01 PDT 2015

I'm not sure I understand this issue. The Morningstar 600V comes with a
disconnect built in, so everything downstream is isolated. Upstream, in the
rare case you need to replace the Morningstar, turn it off, pop out the
fuses in the combiner and work away. If you have a single string
application, unplug an MC4 connector.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 8:31 AM, Jason Szumlanski <
jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com> wrote:

> "​In this scenario, there is no safe way to replace either of the two
> Morningstar controllers."
>
> The BEST rooftop disconnect remains... a big thick tarp. Not totally
> practical in an emergency situation, but it is pretty fail safe.
>
> Unfortunately for emergency responders, that does not take care of the AC
> circuits in a microinverter or AC module system, but ideally the building
> main is shut down anyway, and the risk is the same as any other 240V
> equipment/appliance circuits.
>
> ​Jason Szumlanski
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:26 PM, William Miller <william at millersolar.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Fellow Wrenches
>>

>> Below is a design conundrum that may resonate with some of you:
>>

>> We are finalizing a design for an off-grid residential system.  The
>> customer insist the PV should be on the roof and pre-installed a 1-1/4” PVC
>> conduit from his roof to a crawl space, in anticipation of a solar
>> install.  This created real problems, because we all know we can’t pull PV
>> source or output circuits in (or now, on)  the envelopes of habitable
>> buildings.
>>

>> There was no practical way to replace the PVC.  We contrived a method to
>> sleeve ¾” liquid-tight through the 1-1/4” PVC to the crawl space,
>> continuing on with EMT.  This is the largest metallic conduit we could
>> fit.  The distance was greater than 10 feet so we couldn’t use EMT.  Due to
>> the conduit size restriction, we upgraded to Morningstar 600 volt charge
>> controllers, allowing us to reduce conductor size.
>>

>> (As a sidebar, although the Morningstar is listed as a 600 volt charge
>> controller, we have found no circumstance were we could take advantage of
>> that high a voltage.  With the currently available high wattage modules, by
>> the time we added enough in series to get to 600 volts, we were well beyond
>> the wattage capabilities of the controller.  For sake of design
>> considerations, I suggest one regard these units as ~300 volt charge
>> controllers.)
>>

>> We now have plans for 300 volt PV feeders running down an interior wall
>> and under the house, with no roof-top disconnecting means.  It is my
>> understanding none are required.  I am not comfortable with this.
>> ​​
>> In this scenario, there is no safe way to replace either of the two
>> Morningstar controllers. Should someone drill through or damage the EMT in
>> the wall or under the floor, there would be no way to turn off the feeder.
>>

>> I don’t like putting HU361RBs on a roof.  They must remain vertical and
>> so they stick up too high and are hard to provide mounting for.  Sola-deck
>> units are another option, but they require integrating with shingles, not
>> practical on this job or many others.  I finally settled on a DC-Sunvolt
>> PV-X16A-4X-RG disconnect as a possible solution.  At $216 it is not out of
>> range.  The unit will provide means to turn off the feeders for service.  I
> [...]

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts