[RE-wrenches] off-grid propane tankless water heater advice

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 11:03:20 PDT 2015

Louis; I have seen that pilot light save off-grid on-demand water heaters
from freezing many times!

Often old technology has advantages that don't make it into new, high-tech
equipment press releases.

 Since I work so far off grid and only with small systems, the newer water
heaters needing 120VAC supply don't let inverters go into Search Mode when
the residents are away for days, weeks or months. I know Search Mode is a
relic from a decade ago when PV was expensive, but smaller systems still
rely on it.

Best regards;

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342