[RE-wrenches] off-grid propane tankless water heater advice

Luke Christy sgsrenewables at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:17:29 PDT 2015

Hi Rebekah,
Here in the mountains of Southern
CO we work with tankless heaters a lot on off-grid systems. I know that you're trying to eliminate the phantom load of the electronically controlled heaters, but unless the application is for a seasonal cabin with a tiny PV system, I would get one of the modern electronic direct vent heaters. They work so much better than the non-electric ones, and they seem more reliable also. I've installed dozens of Rinnai and Wai-Wela (made in Japan by Paloma) tankless heaters, and as long as they are cleaned every year or two they are highly dependable. The consistency of water temperature and the quick response time is just in a different league from the old non-electric units. Many of the heaters I've installed have been in off-grid situations, and I've measured the standby consumption of Wai-Wela units at around 5W. It's not zero but it usually isn't a significant extra load and I think the advantages of the electronically-controlled units far outweigh the penalty of the standby consumption. The flexibility of the powered direct vent system is also a major advantage for ease of installation.
Just my $.02

-Luke

NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional™: Certification #031409-25
NABCEP Certified Solar Heating Installer™: Certification #ST032611-03
CoSEIA Certified PV Installer

Solar Gain Services, LLC
PO Box 531
Monte Vista, CO 81144