[RE-wrenches] Rapid Shutdown Battery Systems

billbrooks7 at sbcglobal.net billbrooks7 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 26 21:19:34 PDT 2015

Ray,

Do you have a massive battery bank and 3, 8kW inverters inside the house? Is
this in a garage or power shed. If it is a power shed, then 690.12 is not
intended to relate to the power shed. That will be clarified in the 2017
NEC.

The area for discussion is what constitutes the length of battery cables.
690.71 has restrictions on where overcurrent protection needs to be for
circuits longer than 5'. Do people really follow that religiously? This
would be a discussion that really needs to happen with the AHJ. My basic
view is that if I have a 4' run from a battery box to my inverters (even
though one lead may be 10' long), many would call that a 4' run. That is
what is exposed from a fire fighter point of view. Remember the battery is
potentially a massive bomb in a fire, so 48V conductors are the least of a
fire fighter's concern.

Bottom line is how to make it easy for a firefighter to kill the vast
majority of wires in a building. A backup system simply reenergizes
everything. Cutting off the dc from the array and the ac out of the
inverters solves the problem--keep the battery as close as possible and
don't worry about trying to turn off the battery circuit to the inverter.

Bill.