[RE-wrenches] Rapid Shutdown Battery Systems

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Aug 26 21:40:25 PDT 2015

Hey I think Rapid shutdown is a cool idea too: you walk up and hit one
button and everything is safe.  I've advocated for increased safety
including for batteries.  But its at a cost: a big cost, especially for
small systems.  While we debate what 690.12 applies to and which
equipment might work, the average off gridder yawns and buys stuff off
the internet; him and his buddy grab a 12 pack and they start hacking it
together.  Every dollar we add to the system cost is moving the safety
we offer further from lower income people.  Just ask how many inverters
sold last month on the internet.
The overall effect is not safer solar overall; instead its the uber rich
get the Rapid Shutdown, and the poor go for welding cable straight to
the battery.
And now lets talk Fire Fighter safety: who's shanty is going to be their
next 3 alarm fire?
Let's not leave regular people out of the safety equation, or we're
really just burning all of us, and the industry too.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician