[RE-wrenches] AC Coupled with Generator

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Aug 20 21:56:57 PDT 2015

Hi Folks;

I've done more research on the whole AC coupled issue, and one flaw I
found with both the Sunny Island and the Radian is that they can't
really do a full 3 stage charge for the batteries in off grid mode.
They detect that the batteries are full and disconnect the AC coupled GT
inverters, but this is about as subtle as the very early charge
controllers, and amounts to 1 stage charging.  This is fine for
temporary outages, and when the grid comes back, the batteries get a
good 3 stage charge.  But these folks are really wanting a design that
could be taken off grid permanently.   Also as you my recall, the GT PV
system is Enphase, so we can't use the more sophisticated controls that
SMA offers for the Sunny boys.
I hate to say it, but I might be back to a diversion load with PWM
controller.  Not elegant, but we could get 3 stage charging.
Every time I look at AC coupled setups, I just want to start over with
charge controllers.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,