[RE-wrenches] Serviceable equipment on a roof

Daniel Young dyoung at dovetailsolar.com
Fri Aug 14 09:25:26 PDT 2015

We sent a response this morning, this would have been a good addition to show precedent. If they turn us down after this, we will likely take them to appeals court. We just can’t let our state code agency try to enforce a rule that is clearly wrong, and hurts the potential for future projects so drastically.

This is what we sent this morning:

We fully believe by definition that the 10’-0” clearance requirement as stated on Correction Letter #1 dated 08/13/15 does not include Solar PV modules. Please review the attached Code references for further explanation.

OBC 2011

1013.5 Mechanical equipment. Guards shall be provided where appliances, equipment, fans, roof hatch openings or other components that require service are located within 10 feet (3048 mm) of a roof edge or open side of a walking surface and such edge or open side is located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor, roof or grade below. The guard shall be constructed so as to prevent the passage of a sphere 21 inches (533 mm) in diameter. The guard shall extend not less than 30 inches (762 mm) beyond each end of such appliance, equipment, fan or component.

This section of code is intended for Mechanical equipment, equipment with fans, controllers, refrigerant, ducts, etc… that do require service during their designed life.

Solar PV modules are not mechanical equipment, they are solid state electrical components that require no service during their design life, they in-fact contain no serviceable parts whatsoever. As such the Solar PV modules are also not subject to the working space requirements of NEC section 110 (specifically 110.26 (A) which further stipulates that working space is needed around equipment “…operating at 600 volts, nominal,  or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance…” ).

IB 2015

The 2015 IBC 1512.1 states that Photovoltaic Modules shall also be installed with compliance to the IFC. The 2015 IFC 605.11.1.3.1 states that the modules must only be clear of the roof edge by 6’, unless either axis of the building is less than 250’ (which is the case at this site), in which case only 4’ of clear space is needed on commercial rooftops.

Will let you all know if it holds up.

With Regards,

Daniel Young,

NABCEP Certified PV Installation ProfessionalTM: Cert #031508-90

Lead Systems Designer for:

Dovetail 2013 cmyk 300dpi.jpg

 <http://www.dovetailsolar.com> www.dovetailsolar.com

Ph: 740-274-0139

We’ve completed nearly 400 renewable energy projects!  Check out a few in our photo gallery:   <http://www.dovetailsolar.com/Our-Work.aspx?path=commercial+-+solar+electric> http://www.dovetailsolar.com/Our-Work.aspx?path=commercial+-+solar+electric

This email message and attachments are intended only for the addressee.  It may contain information which is legally privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy or disseminate this message and/or the information contained in the message.  If you have received this message in error, please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete this message along with any attachments.  Unauthorized interception of this email is a violation of criminal laws and laws covering electronic communications privacy matters.