[RE-wrenches] Trojan Batteries

Tom Duffy Tom at thesolar.biz
Thu Aug 13 06:27:24 PDT 2015

Drake et al

I only design with series strings (no parallel) I use a fairly high bulk and absorb setting and I always calculate the absorb time. Further I don't pretend there is enough solar if there's not.  I design for a full charge daily for 8 months a year from solar alone, thus insuring fully charged batteries at a minimum of every 10 days.

I have been selling Trojan for years and with the new RE line we have never seen a failure that wasn't caused by abuse, either a poor bank design or bad or no charge settings or failure to maintain properly (this includes judicious equalization). Failing batteries after two years always indicates improper charging and probably too many parallel strings that are not being dealt with the way parallel strings require.

I have been selling batteries for 47 years now and in that time I have only seen 5 honest to goodness (Manufacturing defect) batteries. Everything else was abuse.

Kind regards

Tom Duffy
Senior Solar Design Engineer
[Real-logo-X-195]