[RE-wrenches] Between module gasket system

Daniel Young dyoung at dovetailsolar.com
Mon Aug 10 07:10:45 PDT 2015

We did this on a job once, we have 1yr on the install and so far, so good. It had the side-effect of slowing down the time it takes to melt/slough off snow, due to the fact that the snow blanket was now continuous, and so it held onto itself as one large sheet, not letting the smaller slabs of snow slide off at will. The open gaps actually let the snow act like a sheet of postage stamps, the gaps act like a perforation, letting the snow break apart more easily and slide away.

We simply treated it like a large gap needing sealant. We used the appropriately sized foam backer rod, cleaned the parts of the module frame that needed to be sealed with rubbing alcohol, inserted the backer rod from the top (you might want some painters tape under the frames to keep the rod from falling through the bottom), then applied a roofing style silicone (we used DOW 795) and applied it in the hour-glass shape needed to help provide for long term durability/adhesion. Then you can just remove the backer rod from below after a day or two.

It cut the water coming through by around 95%. The trick is the mid clamps, it’s difficult to get the seal to be durable at those locations, so pay attention there. If you have a bottom clamped system, you should be home free.

Remember most solar modules are not water proof at the interface between the glass and the aluminum frame (also the corners of the aluminum frame are generally a weak spot for water too), so expect some water to drip through. Standard crystalline framed Solar modules are just not designed to be a roofing material…your shooting for less water getting through, you can’t stop it 100% without something under the array o catch it.

With Regards,

Daniel Young,

NABCEP Certified PV Installation ProfessionalTM: Cert #031508-90