[RE-wrenches] to flash or not to flash

William Miller william.miller at millersolar.com
Fri Aug 7 11:19:20 PDT 2015

Ray:

I have to respectfully disagree with your semantics.  A flashing is an
overlapping of roofing materials such that gravity will direct rain and melt
water off of the roof.  This is a universally accepted waterproofing method
that does not depend on any sealant material.  The concept is as ancient as
the first, crude, thatched roof.

If you place a flat object on top of roofing without an uphill material
lapping over the downhill object, you are not flashing.

What you have described is sealant-dependent weatherproofing.  Regardless of
the quality of the sealant, or lack thereof, I don't think you can call it a
flashed attachment.

(The overarching point is a flashed attachment does not depend on a sealant.
Any sealant has a finite lifespan.  Removing the sealant variable from the
equation results in more lasting installation.)

Sincerely,

William Miller

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985