[RE-wrenches] to flash or not to flash

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Thu Aug 6 11:05:29 PDT 2015

If we are talking code, we should also point out how people are "getting
away" without using flashings and why AHJs are not requiring them. What I
have seen is that a fastener is not considered a "penetration." The
argument used frequently is that the thousands of screws that attach an
exposed fastener metal roof are not "flashed." The argument goes that the
codes sections cited be Andrew are intended for large openings like roof
vents and plumbing vents. If the screw occupies the space of the
"penetration" and is further sealed with sealant or a gasket, there is no
flashing required. You could extend this argument to shingle nails that go
through the "roof plane" depending on how you define it.

Don't kill the messenger - I'm just pointing out the logic/argument made
against the requirement for flashings.

I'll reiterate that my vote is to flash!

Jason