[RE-wrenches] to flash or not to flash

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Thu Aug 6 10:28:00 PDT 2015

40+ years of experience from the solar pool industry shows that shingle
roof attachments without flashing with proper sealant and methods can be
very successful. Typical pool heating systems involve 50+ attachments done
without flashing. BUT, that experience is primarily based on two things
that differ from the PV industry. First, the hardware for solar pool heat
is designed specifically for this installation method. More importantly,
the expansion and contraction issue does not really exist in the same
sense. Solar pool heaters and straps that hold them down are inherently
flexible to an extent, and the panels "float" under the tie-downs.

Aluminum rails are rigid, and I can see expansion and contraction over long
rail sections having a much greater degree of impact on an L-foot or
standoff, especially given the leverage available with a taller attachment.
This same issue exists with rail-less systems because the modules are rigid
and presumably have a different coefficient of expansion than the roof.

On the other hand, I don't think there is enough study and evidence to say
definitively that a flashing-less PV system is necessarily detrimental to
all shingle roofs, and most I have seen have been trouble-free going as
long as 15 years. Where I have seen problems is where L-feet are tightened
too much or too little, or were installed at angles that dug into the
shingle with the sharp edge of the aluminum. I can see how a wider base
would be smart for a manufacturer trying to get away without flashing.

With all that said, my conclusion and vote is why risk it? Flash it. I find
it to be a solid competitive advantage over those that don't anyway. The
race to the bottom for the cheapest and least labor intensive installation
method is not necessarily good for the industry.

Jason Szumlanski