[RE-wrenches] Using the North Facing Roof

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Jul 28 13:31:42 PDT 2015

Bill and Wrenches,

I have been battling this issue for a while. Our sales folks are up against
fierce competition and want to design a system that has the best return on
investment. So, they will choose a reverse tilt system  over a North facing
array unless there is a strong deterrent to going with reverse tilt. This
deterrent could come in the form of a company policy “no reverse tilts” or
by adding significant costs to reverse tilt systems. We’ve tried some of
both and there are still cases where reverse tilts prevail – but we do them
very seldom and only with careful consideration.

Let’s say we have a 5 kW grid tied system (off grid is a whole other ball
of wax) and we’re analyzing our options between flush mount North 18
degrees (4:12 pitch) and reverse tilt to South at 5 degrees. The North
facing array will produce about 24% less than the South facing reverse tilt
system assuming no differences in shade for our Bay Area location or 5126
kWh/yr for North versus 6758 kWh/yr for South. At $0.20/w for electricity
this amounts to $326/yr of extra savings for the South facing reverse tilt
system. We might charge about an extra $1500 to install the reverse tilt
system to account for the engineering cost to check the structure and
 extra racking material and labor. This means that the reverse tilt system
pays off in less than 5 years. The numbers would be more in favor of the
reverse tilt if the North facing pitch was steeper.

I guess all I’m saying is that the pure numbers still support reverse tilts
in some cases. Despite that, my gut is that we should avoid them for the
same reasons that Bill lists below.

Best,

August