[RE-wrenches] Using the North Facing Roof

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Tue Jul 28 07:46:01 PDT 2015

We get this question all the time, mostly due to aesthetic concerns. The
location is obviously a huge factor in this decision, but the mounting
pitch is also very important. I did a PVWATTS-based study recently based on
our local area, and the results are here:

http://floridasolardesigngroup.com/solar-electricity-output-based-on-tilt-and-orientation/

Other related resources:

http://floridasolardesigngroup.com/pitch-solar-panels-on-my-roof-is-it-necessary/
http://floridasolardesigngroup.com/can-i-put-solar-panels-on-my-north-roof-in-southwest-florida/

The bottom line is that the marginal cost of adding solar panels to a north
roof may be completely viable in some scenarios, and even a completely
north facing array in others. It often depends on the investment
requirements of the buyer. I can see benefits to off-grid systems, too,
where production on even a north vertical wall can provide critical power
at certain times of day at certain latitudes. If aligning production with
consumption is important in a situation, every pitch and azimuth is on the
table for analysis.

Jason Szumlanski

Florida Solar Design Group