[RE-wrenches] Using the North Facing Roof

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Jul 28 07:43:37 PDT 2015

I think the point of view Peter shared has more to do with lower sloped
North facing or other non-ideal orientations. The proof is in the pudding –
just simulate the production and utility bill offset and see if the
proposed orientation makes sense financially. We haven’t done any North
facing arrays (yet?) but we have a few that are North-West in orientation
and they are working as projected.

I think a side question that this poses is whether, for example, it makes
sense to install a reverse tilt on a North facing roof or just mount the
panels flush and install more of them. My calculations show that the
reverse tilt is still a better economical choice but it is no longer as cut
and dry as it once was when modules were more expensive. Of course reverse
tilt arrays pose structural engineering and aesthetic considerations so we
really try to shy away from them.

Best,

August