[RE-wrenches] DC conductor line loss numbers

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Wed Jul 22 18:29:00 PDT 2015

Jerry,

2.5% loss is fine, especially considering the cost of reducing that
further.

Remember that you are calculating the line loss at the peak power output of
the array, at noon on a sunny day. Since the array will only provide peak
output for a rather small part of the day (unless you have a tracking
mount), your losses will be much less most of the time. At 50% of peak
sunlight, you will only have 50% of the voltage drop. Efficiency on a less
than fully sunny day will be very high, as will mornings and afternoons on
a sunny day.

Voltage drop losses in PV source circuits are not nearly the problem that t
used to be when PV was very expensive and before we had MPPT charge
controllers. Back in the day when we had 36-cell modules, or even 33 or
35-cell modules, charging 12V batteries, and we only had relay or PWM
controllers, it was very important to reduce voltage drop as much as we
could. First, PV power was very expensive, so it was cost effective to
spend more money on wire. Secondly, because the array voltage was only
slightly higher than the battery voltage, too much voltage drop in the
wiring could drop the charging voltage below the voltage that the battery
needed to get fully charged, especially on hot days.

Now, with PV “cheap” and MPPT controllers allowing array voltages way above
the battery voltage, these are not big problems anymore. Certainly, any
lost power is indeed lost power, but it doesn’t affect the actual
functioning of the system.

I think that if you were to calculate the “cost” of the lost power due to
using a smaller gauge wire, it would be below the cost of the larger wire.
On a 3 kW array (60A at 50 VDC) a 1.5% loss (the difference between 2.5%
and 1% losses) is only 45W. That’s only about $40 worth of PV, and less
than a quarter of a kWh/day average in a 5 peak sun-hour location. Your PV
sizing for an off-grid system shouldn’t be so tight that this would make
any real difference I n system performance.

Brian Teitelbaum

AEE Solar