[RE-wrenches] Trina Module Annual Degradation

Bill Hoffer sunengser at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 08:07:08 PDT 2015

Jerry

Unfortunately snail trails are a clear indication of micro cracks that will
in time open up and degrade the output of the module substantially.  They
may not have a performance problem yet , but give it time to show up!  It
usually takes awhile for the snail trail to appear, the micro cracks allow
ions to pass through the cell attracted by the polarity and cause the
discoloration around the micro cracks.  I have heard of initial installs
with them , which is a very bad sign, and the same response from the
manufacturer that it does not effect performance ( yes they were flash
tested with the micro cracks present).  IMHO it is a manufacturing defect
and has nothing to do with performance....yet, and should be covered under
manufacturing defects!  Good luck with that though!  I am sure that we have
had this problem all along, but because we are seeing 1000 vdc
transformer-less systems it is occurring more quickly.

Bill Hoffer

William Hoffer
161 SE Fourth Ave
P.O. Box 1823