[RE-wrenches] 1000-volt circuits

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Mon Jul 6 12:28:07 PDT 2015

It’s likely going to come down to the AHJ, James, though the City and County of Honolulu electrical department should already have at least some exposure to up to 1,000-volt DC circuits.

One interesting thing I’ve learned is that the standard Hawaii C-13 electrical license may NOT be adequate to pull permits for projects beyond 600 volts.  If the four counties hear decide to make life more difficult and play hardball, a C-63 (high voltage) license may be required.  And how many companies have that in house?  I don’t.

For now, regarding our Hilo project, we will need to erect a fence (7’ tall no less!) around the five SMA Tripowers with the required clearance from the front of the inverters.  And since the fence would be taller than 6’, it will require a building permit!  Argh…..

marco