[RE-wrenches] Fastening to light-guage steel framing

Glenn Burt glenn.burt at glbcc.com
Thu Jun 11 07:51:18 PDT 2015

I would be very wary of a riveted solution.
A few years ago we had an engineer design a type of L foot attachment for a steel roof on a storage barn. He designs it to use blind stainless steel rivets, and we installed it with his supervision.
It didn't survive a single winter here in upstate NY. We had to remove the array, install blocking and normal L feet to secure the array the next summer.

The rivets tore through the sheet steel and many feet were no longer attached. It also caused a ground fault when conductors were abraded from metal movement.

Sincerely,
Glenn Burt
Sent from my 'smart' phone so please excuse grammar and typos.