[RE-wrenches] SI/SB MicroGrid - Recovery From Low Battery Shut Off

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sun Jun 7 09:15:49 PDT 2015

That is what we did for our home system. The main
impetus was to keep the batteries charged without
having to charge from the grid using the on-board
battery chargers. Grid charging uses a lot of utility power.

This system has stacked Outback inverters. We
keep the backup inverters turned off at the Mate,
but with the instrumentation running. If we did
have a low battery situation, the voltage would
rise enough to start the system back up from the 80 W of DC coupled PV.

Another way to recover from low battery shutdown
would be to program the shut down parameters
below battery voltage when the sun came back out.
Also, it is likely that if the system were
completely turned off at the DC breaker, the
battery voltage would rise enough to start the
inverter(s) when solar resources improved.