[RE-wrenches] Integrating with Lightning Protection

Garrison Riegel garrison at solarserviceinc.com
Fri Jun 5 09:59:49 PDT 2015

Thanks for the reference Brian and the link Jarmo.  Thanks also Glenn for the NEC reference, which is consistent with Dehn saying that PV systems on roofs should be bonded to lightning protection systems if the required “separation distance” cannot be maintained.  If this separation distance is not maintained then “flashover” could jump from the LPS to the array possibly resulting in fire.  This separation distance is based on a number of site specific factors and is not necessarily easy to determine unfortunately.  It looks like the distance will be just over 3’ for the project I’m working on…assuming I did my calculations correctly.

Interestingly Dehn says that on buildings with metal roofs there is no way to maintain the necessary separation distance and therefore the PV array needs to be directly connected to the external LPS in all cases.

Ray, I like your approach, which sounds like the safest design especially when this “separation distance” can be maintained.

Thanks all for the replies.  Much appreciated.

Garrison