[RE-wrenches] Voltage Degradation with Uni-Solar laminate

Jarmo.Venalainen at schneider-electric.com Jarmo.Venalainen at schneider-electric.com
Mon Jun 1 09:48:41 PDT 2015

Hi:

With the rapid increase in the number of new installs and installers, the
question of determining the lowest Voc for a system which uses PWM or MPPT
charge controllers has come up more often recently.

I did a slide for it in our training,

a. PWM and MPPT charge controllers cannot boost the incoming voltage.  The
input voltage always has to higher than the desired charging output
voltage.
b. Charge controllers have a loss in the range of 2-4%, depending on array
voltage, battery voltage, charging current, temperature etc.
c. The charge controller loss will cause a voltage drop from input to
output which will be proportional to the loss percentage.
d. Additional losses will be present due to system wiring, terminations,
etc.
e. The total system loss will typically be in the range of 4 -6 %,
depending on the particulars of the design and operating conditions such
as temperature, sun intensity etc.
f. The lowest possible Vmp of any module is approximately 75% to 90% of
the highest possible Voc for virtually all modules depending on module
type and whole bunch of other environmental and operating variables.

In other words, by the time you go through the math, the Voc of typical
PWM or MPPT systems needs to be in the range of 1.3 X the highest desired
charging voltage, (1.3X equalize voltage if that is to be used, 1.3X bulk
if that's the highest desired).

If you don't have enough margin, then the effect is that the module/array
will still provide charging current, but it will forced to operate at a
voltage somewhere between Voc and Vmp.  It will therefore produce a
reduced amount of charging current less than Imp and possibly approaching
zero if the module/array is asked to operate at or very near Voc.

Marginal design along with the guaranteed variable nature of sun intensity
and ambient temperature throughout the year, very likely can result in a
system which will provide a charging current, but wont be able to quite
reach bulk voltage and that of course is not a good thing.

Whatever the cause, you need more Voc.

JARMO

Jarmo Venalainen  |   Schneider Electric   |  Xantrex Brand  |   CANADA  |
  Sales Application Engineer
Phone: +604-422-2528  |   Tech Support: 800-670-0707  |   Mobile:
+604-505-0291
Email: jarmo.venalainen at schneider-electric.com  |   Site: www.Xantrex.com
|   Address: 3700 Gilmore Way, Burnaby, BC V5G4M1

*** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail